Your 1099 tax form should be located in the Tax Forms tab of Stripe Express by January 31. If you can’t see it, there are several reasons why this may be happening.
Above: From the Tax Forms page in Stripe Express, you can view and download your 1099 tax form once you’ve consented to paperless delivery and your platform has delivered the form.
Once your platform has filed your 1099 tax form, you will be notified via email. If you’ve opted into paperless delivery, you’ll be able to view and download your form on the Tax Form page in Stripe Express. Your platform is responsible for determining who should receive a tax form, and when they’ll be filed and delivered.
If you don’t see a tax form in Stripe Express, there are several reasons why this may be happening:
- Your platform did not use the Express app to deliver your form, or they chose not to file a form for you.
- If you believe you are missing a form, either for current or prior years, reach out to your platform to confirm whether or not you should have received a 1099 tax form for that year.
- Your platform hasn’t filed and delivered your form yet.
- We recommend platforms file tax forms in the Connect 1099 dashboard by January 25, 2024. After your platform has filed your 1099 tax form with the tax authorities, you’ll be notified via email that your tax form is available to view and download in Stripe Express. Reach out to your platform if you're unclear about whether or not you'll receive a 1099 tax form.
- You earned less than the threshold for your form type.*
- Your platform determines the final amounts that appear on your form. All transactions may not be reflected on the payouts tab in Stripe Express. Check out the resources linked below to learn more about the recent IRS 1099-K threshold change and general 1099 eligibility.
- You haven’t opted in to paperless delivery yet.
- If you have not agreed to paperless delivery, you will not be able to access your 1099 tax form through Stripe Express. To consent for paperless delivery and receive your tax form, please log in to Stripe Express and follow the prompts in the Tax Form page.
- If you would also like to receive a paper copy of your 1099 tax form, you should reach out to your platform for assistance.
- Your platform doesn’t have the correct information for you or your account type is unsupported.
- It’s possible that the email address you’ve provided is incorrect, missing, or unable to receive email.
- Your account might also be set up so multiple users are sharing the same account, or the same email address is being used on more than 20 accounts, which is not supported in Stripe Express. In these instances, please reach out to your platform for the status of your form.
If you received a 1099 tax form and are not sure why, you can learn more by checking the link below.
Why did I receive a 1099 tax form?
*Beginning January 1, 2023, platforms are required to send 1099-Ks to merchants when the gross amount of total reportable payments exceeds $600 in a calendar year. This change impacts tax reporting for 2023 and subsequent years.
For returns prior to 2023, platforms were only required to send 1099-Ks to merchants when the gross amount of total reportable payments exceeded $20,000 and the total number of such transactions exceeded 200 in a calendar year.
This article is neither legal advice nor tax advice. We recommend that you speak to your tax advisor with any questions or concerns around tax reporting.