How do I update my tax information?

You can update your tax information from the Tax Forms page or in the Account tab.

Screenshot 2024-04-22 at 11.28.28 AM.png

Above: You can review or update your tax information from the Tax Forms tab within Stripe Express.

To update your tax information from the Tax Forms page select the option to ‘Confirm information’ next to the 1099 tax form you wish to update. In the fields provided enter your Legal Name, TIN (Taxpayer Identification Number) and Address. You may also select the more options menu and ‘Edit’ to update your tax for information.

If your name and TIN don’t match the IRS records, you will see an error that prompts you to re-enter your information. Once you update your legal entity information, we will give you a short grace period (7 days) to ensure that your account has been brought back up to a compliant state.

Note that business type (individual, company, non-profit or government-entity) is not editable once a legal entity is verified. To update your business type once verified, please reach out to your platform.

Note: Make sure the name matches exactly what the IRS has on file for you. The best way to do this depends on your business type:

Individual/Sole Prop: Your name functions as your legal entity. You will want to enter your name exactly as it appears on your Social Security card.

Company/Corporation: Your company has a distinct legal entity name and corresponding TIN/EIN. You need to enter your company’s name exactly as it appears on the IRS files, including any spaces, commas, suffixes (e.g., “LLC” or “Inc”). If you are unsure of your details, the IRS has a same day turnaround to provide you with a 147C letter which will have a copy of what they have on file. The best way to obtain a 147C letter is to contact the IRS by phone at 1 (800) 829-4933 to request a faxed copy. You can also write to them and ask to have a letter containing the information they have on file for your business to be sent by mail.

If you only see a field to enter your Social Security Number (SSN) in your Tax Forms page but you’d like to enter your Employer Identification Number (EIN), you will need to update your business type. Please refer to these instructions for changing your business type in Stripe Express.

If you do not see a Tax Forms page, please refer to these instructions for updating your personal information in Stripe Express.

This article is neither legal advice nor tax advice. We recommend that you speak to your tax advisor with any questions or concerns around tax reporting.