Required Website Components
Card networks require that certain business details and operating procedures are made publicly available to customers (see below). Including these details on your website or in your app helps build trust between you and your customers, and reduces the likelihood of misunderstandings that lead to disputes.
By the time you begin processing payments, your site should include, at a minimum, the following details:
- Complete description of the goods or services offered
- Transaction currency
- Customer service contact details (phone, email, address)
- Return/refund and shipping policies (if shipping physical goods)
- Legal or export restrictions (if applicable)
- Terms and conditions of any promotions
- Security capabilities and policy for transmission of payment card details
Explanation of Requirements
When accepting payment card payments, you must comply with all applicable Network Rules, including the Visa Rules and Regulations specified by Visa U.S.A., Inc. and Visa International (“Visa”), the Mastercard Rules specified by MasterCard International Incorporated (“Mastercard”), the American Express Merchant Operating Guide specified by American Express, and the Discover Network Rules (please contact Discover for a copy) specified by Discover Financial Services, LLC (“Discover”). Collectively, Visa, Mastercard, American Express and Discover are referred to in this Agreement as the “Networks”.